Thursday, January 27, 2011

Debate: Mother Teresa: good or evil?

It has been a long time since my last post and I am very glad I had the time to reflect on my book.

Since my book went out of print in the spring of 2009, I decided to set my efforts on other projects. Most of what needed to be said in blogs or forums was said to interest readers in the book. I still receive daily updates on Mother Teresa but there hasn’t been much worth posting. On reflecting over the past year and an half since my book went out of print I realized then, as I do now, that I was in a no man’s land when it came to the approach I took to the case of Mother Teresa’s cause. I was not the only Catholic in the Church and the world to question or write about their concerns vis-à-vis Mother Teresa holiness. I was, to my knowledge, the only Catholic in the Church and the world to write a book on the subject, send a copy to Rome, and do radio interviews about the book. Though my book is critical of Mother Teresa and is argued in a courtroom fashion, I did work hard to give Mother Teresa a fair hearing and give information about her that I believed even her most devoted followers did not know. When the book was published I quickly was examined by two warring armies:

The Mother Teresa is the devil army

The Mother Teresa is a goddess army

The first army is composed of hardened rationalistic atheists. These individuals in their need to find proofs to justify their faith, a faith of negation, seek to destroy the “Saint” of God. The atheists see the Christian world holding up Mother Teresa as thee modal of Christian purity and believe that if they can destroy her they have added another justification for their faith.

The second army has a mixture of soldiers, some are Catholics and some are from various faiths. These individuals have a hard time seeing that Mother Teresa could do anything wrong, let alone that she would do anything that could diminish the true religious service the world owes Mother Teresa.

You might have guessed that neither army received my position with joy. All they wanted to know was if I was pro or con Mother Teresa. Neither side could bring themselves to read my book because they have been fighting a trench warfare debate about Mother Teresa for such a long time they could no longer see any other way to address their conflict.

Recently, I came across a debate about Mother Teresa that I found interesting. This debate well demonstrates what happens when these two armies confront each other. I found myself watching the bifurcation and realizing why my book fell on so many deaf ears. Both sides are doomed to never discover the truth about Mother Teresa until they can look past their present presuppositions about her and judge her using the scales in which she believed her life was weighted.

Just click on Debate: Mother Teresa: good or evil? Make sure you see both parts.

1 comment:

Play angry Birds said...

Nice post ..Great blog...informative