Monday, August 4, 2008

Fr. Angelo's Straw Man II

Point Two:


“I do not attack Pope John Paul II in my book but actually use his teachings as a defense of my position.”



I do indict the Congregation for The Causes of Saints in my book for not doing its job and many have complained that since the revisions of the canonization process (Divinus Perfectionis Magister) there is question if some individuals were granted the titles of Blessed and Saint through a flawed and bias process. In the minds of these Catholics, an infallible assurance that the canonized is a Saint cannot be held if the Church ordained process has not been applied. I am not arguing the virtues or vices of their position at this time but I am arguing that Mother Teresa’s virtues and vices exclude her from canonization. I am morally bound to hope for her salvation. Equally, I am morally bound to hope that she is not canonized.


In chapter one of my book, I quote the 1983 Code of Canon Law:


Canon 212 § 2—The Christian faithful are free to make known their needs, especially spiritual ones, and their desires to the pastors of the Church.


Canon 212 § 3—In accord with the knowledge, competence and preeminence which they possess, they have the right and even at times the duty to manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion on matters which pertain to the good of the Church, and they have a right to make their opinion known to the other Christian faithful, with due regard for the integrity of the faith and morals and reverence toward their pastors, and with consideration for the common good and the dignity of persons.


Pope John Paul II promulgated this code of canon law. I am following these canons, Fr. Angelo is not.


In chapter two of my book, I quote Pope John Paul II and offer a challenge:


Man is no longer convinced that only in the truth can he find salvation (Veritatis Splendor, 84).


I offer this challenge:


“Did Mother Teresa believe and consistently teach that only in truth can man find salvation?”


How did I go against the pope in using the pope to make my arguments?

No comments: